Life with Aspergers is a constant learning for all the family….a new situation is a new rule socially..
We have been very lucky as when Fionn has learning something he retains it, and sometimes can manage the situation without us. it is FABULOUS feeling….. Helen.
i got worked up over a piece of homework……AGAIN!
it was art AGAIN.
i think i am good at Art, but i don’t listen closely enough to long instructions….i often be doodling at the back of my scribble pad – and i know i have been worse since i came back to school!
but also cos i am disorganised , i often lose sheets with instructions on it, which leaves me, in a spot of bother! I have told you before my school bag is a MESS!.
TODAY was a tough one.
Mum and dad were away up in Belfast at another doctor’s check-up, so my brother and I were minding ourselves and I was doing my homework.
- When we mind ourselves it is really for us and our independence
- Our next door neighbour always brings us home
- and she is always in her house if we need her
- and mum always tells her when it is, and she ALWAYS knows.
- and sometimes she pops over to see how we are managing.
- but today we were managing well
- we even cooked our own pizzas for tea!
So homework was goig fine until……. i realised i had my art to do still.
Then i realised……. “Where is my sheet?”
i didn’t have the sheet with the detailed instructions on it.
i rang mum and she knew in my voice that i was worked up! 😦
- she asked why i was shouting?
- did shouting help?
- if i shouted my headache would get worse
- and i would get more stressed
- so she told me to talk slower and calmer.
- then she did “whats the worst thing that happens her?”
- how many subjects have you been good at?
- how much art have you been good at?
- so worst thing is one bad grade? yeah?
then i had slowed down a bit.
- mum asked if i don’t do the art does anyone die?
- when do you have art?
- i said NOT til thursday…
- so she said – then what’s the big deal?
- you can get the sheet tomorrow.
and she told me to put away my art stuff.
- then she asked was i upset?
- did i need a cry? ( sometimes i like to cry because it lets out the stress…like a coke can fizzing up and all the gas getting out!)
- i said yes…
- she told me to go find a quiet room, and put my head into a cushion and have a wee cry.
- i did!
- she told me when she got home she would give me a very big squish.
- and she did:)
so we managed to keep me from having a melt-down by talking over the phone.
so for once mum+phone=good
now I am fine and mum will write me a note for the teacher for tomorrow!
so is sorted:)