Fionn’s ongoing headaches mean he misses a LOT of school. In first year and year 11, and this year, he had MOST absences. In year 8 (before my having brain surgery, i was able to home tutor Fionn- with an incredible amount of help sent from school every day. However, POST-brain-surgeries I simply do NOT have the application or concentration to decipher work that i would have been able to do….as the old me. So absences have so many issues:
- whether you are FULLY better
- whether you are well enough
- HOW will it be meeting everyone
- how will it be being behind?
- ALL THAT uncertainty and WHAT IF?
by Fionn when he was in year 8. (2013)
- I have been off school for 3 school weeks co of my headache
- it seems a really long time for a headache to go on
- I have been in the hospital twice already
- I still have loads of tablets to take
- I don’t have a brain tumour – which is a relief- i was kind of shocked when the doctor mentioned a tumour in front of me cos now i am old enough to know what it would mean
- I still feel rotten
- though i have to try to go to school soon, cos it seems like people will think I am dead.
- I wasn’t allowed to text or BBM for ages because it was hurting my eyes and that hurt my head, BUT today mum said to try my friends and see what i missed
- first i didn’t get that – cos i thought she meant the work – and I knew what i had missed of it from Mrs H homework notes!
- she said she meant to ask the boys – ask them what news and fun and craic i had missed.
- so I have texted a few lads….but no replies yet. YEAH have 2 replies from my friends Harry and Padraig already!
- some of the boys hardly text back ever, some others get back to you eventually!
- There are pluses and minuses about going back soon.
- I get to meet my friends again
- I have been out of touch with them cos of the phone hurting my eyes
- I get to catch up on my fun subjects
- it is actually quite boring when you are off for a long time – cos when you are sick in our house, you don’t get to use the PS3 or things like that!
- I can taunt people with my canteen pass again – that is fun – deciding who gets with me!
- I am not worried about feeling awkward going back cos my class are nice people
- I would get my science and Irish tests over and done with and stop revising them!
- I am going to feel weaker walking about all day, cos all i have been doing is lying on the sofa
- reading hurts my eyes – so i have been not doing much at all
- i did enjoy it with my mam teaching me!
- movement of my head hurts…so if i am up and down and moving it could be awful
- I have to write and haven’t been doing that at home
- data projectors…they might hurt my eyes having to read at different angles.
- I wouldn’t be able to able to do PE.
- I wouldn’t be able to do the running and all that at break so i would miss that!
- Mum said i could go back for short whiles, but i don’t like the idea of that cos i don’t like doing things without others doing the same as me.
- I don’t know what teachers will say to me…cos if the teachers are all nice to me, it might feel a bit awkward.
- i don’t really want to be the centre of attention – you know with people keeping coming up with “Fionn are you better?”…i hate that stuff.
- i hope i do get merits for keeping up on all the work!
- i won’t know , if i manage without feeling worse until i try?
- we will have to decide tonight…
- its harder decision than usual cos usually when i am going back i feel happy to go back cos i am better at catching up on everything when i am there.
- and usually with a sickness it is nearly better by the time i decide to go back, but this time i really don’t feel much better..my head is still splitting…i actually think i feel worse…..so am a bit nervous how that will be…
- but if the headache stays fro weeks and weeks i just can;t stay off for that long
- mum and dad are nervous too of sending me back and how I will feel!
i THINK i should go back…..to be honest…. but i really DON’T feel up to it!.
How can i decide????