The VERY UNEXPECTED effect of writing a BLOG , and a post that people LOVE…attention…and NOT a natural thing for an autistic child. BLOGGING is not visible….. Fionn posted just another post which was somehow taken on by media in a crazy way. We were asked could it be printed, Fion said yee, and within days he was asked to talk about himself on the radio. NOT IN HIS COMFORT ZONE..but….It was THIS blog : which hit tens of thousands of readers and went global…Fionn was 12. THIS is the blog that caused the fuss……H
Today i made my first appearance, well not quite appearance on the RADIO.
I’d never been in a radio recording studio before, so i was really interested and excited.
I was sort of nervous, cos it was something i hadn’t done before, but mostly excited cos i was going to be on the radio.
My mummy and daddy were with me. Daddy was with me because he had to talk too, but mummy tagged along cos i wouldn’t fancy going without her…she helps to relax me…and to pay attention.
We got to get used to the room for a while cos they couldn’t get the sound connection.
But they soon did – with dad’s help!
The interviewer was called John Murray – he sounded like a pretty nice guy on the radio. He was easy to talk to and he didn’t ask anything outrageously hard.
He asked me:
- do you like having Asperger’s?
- do you know anyone else who has Asperger’s?
- is it hard making friends?
- what sort of hobbies do you have?
- how Asperger’s makes me different?
- bad habits my Asperger’s gives me?
- he asked me about the words i make up like emotious, sensatious, and a squish
- things that are challenging about Asperger’s – like I talked about sensory issues, like smell, noise, drool, baked-bean-phobia, hair smells
- he asked me things that i find hard and how i cope – and i used football matches as an example…like when i was little i hated going to games cos i hated the noise of the crowd…but mum and dad kept pushing me to go and i got used to it and i actually now am one of the loudest shouters at the match.
- he asked me do i find school tricky and will it be worse when i go to Grammar – i explained to him I was already in St Michaels. He asked me what did i find useful when managing all the subjects and i said the way in revision time mummy and daddy write out new stuff when i am doing them in school – its really useful cos i am always prepared and a wee step in front.
- he asked about what was the best thing about being different – and i said being able to think outside the box- like i do in maths and stuff and geography.
- i told him i love music …and he asked about the instruments i play and when i play and i told him that i play when i am about to go to bed. He asked did that not drive the neighbours mad, but i told him i have a digital drum kit. I told him loved band.
- He asked mum and Dad a few questions about stuff – i wasn’t really paying attention at that time…cos i was kinda finished..plus i have a headache!
- But it was funny he caught me red handed cos he asked me a question and i was not paying attention and i was just lying back in the chair! so it took me a few seconds to get my head back in the game.
it all went really well.
i LOVED it
he asked me what i wanted to be when i am older…i told him when i was little i wanted to be a fire-engine! But now sometimes i think maybe be in a band, or a chef or a footballer, or a policeman.
But after the interview i might be a DJ…
so watch out John Murray….Fionn Hamill’s at yer back! .
🙂 by Fionn